1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Advice

Discussion in 'General Turtle Care Discussion' started by smoyle, May 30, 2017.

1. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Good morning Simon, Craig and I never once suspected that your previous mishaps were due to your husbandry. We both stand by the AFT care guide and the information we provide and we know you follow that information to the letter.

Try the silkworms again when he/she is older. If your turtle willingly accepts earthworms, fish and Duckweed for now, its dietary calcium requirements will be met.

• Like Like x 1
  2. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member Silver Level Supporter

Thanks Kev, appreciate all the support through the last 6 months as it's all unfolded, such a relief for me as I second guessed myself a lot.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 16, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Original Post Date: Jul 8, 2017 ---
    Just thought I'd check in again about his weight, since he seemed a bit underweight to you guys a couple of months back. He's grown 6mm in that time, in part I think because of one incident where he accidentally ate a lot of pellets at once. Otherwise it's just been the usual size-of-his-head-daily amount.

20170715_083648.jpg

3. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Simon,

He's definitely looking better but still could benefit from more weight on him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle

Thanks Craig. So just keep doing what I'm doing or should I feed a bit more?

5. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hey mate, if it was me, I'd be offering more food just to get your turtle up to a healthy weight then back off once that weight is reached.

You should aim for body weight like the turtle on the right hand side. Note the difference between the limbs on the juvenile turtle on the right compared to the limbs on your turtle.
    juv turtle comparison.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle

Awesome, thanks Craig. That's a helpful comparison!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member