1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Baby Murray River Turtle Health Check/Scute Shedding

Discussion in 'Common Health Problems, Injuries and Treatments' started by Claire Bails, May 21, 2017.

1. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry for pointing out the blatantly obvious but your turtle should never have been placed in anything less than a 3ft to 4ft tank to start with. Your 18 litre tank is perfect for a single fighting fish, not a turtle. My Macleays were 40mm long when they went into their current tank.
    7574-20150106_093049.jpg

20130317_191806.jpg

Alas it seems you are an expert at everything and I for one am not going to waste any more of my time trying to educate you.

I hope this planned upgrade of yours is an aquarium with the minimum dimensions of 8 ft long by 2ft wide by 2ft high or you're wasting your time and money.

Best of luck with your turtle, you're going to need it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Claire,

What is the reason that your tank doesn't have a 0.4% to 0.5% salt concentration in it?

3. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

4. Claire Bails

Claire Bails Hatchling Turtle

When I was setting up the tank this wasn't something I was ever aware of as being necessary. I'm currently waiting on an order of aquarium salts to remedy this.

5. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Aquarium salts?? Interesting.

6. Craig

Craig Administrator

OK, no worries.
    As to the brown patch around the cloaca, lots of disorders and diseases can cause this. It definitely appears to be an irritation of some kind. Some of the things that can cause this are diarrhoea, bacterial infection, internal parasites, recent blockages from hard to pass items that have been swallowed and partial prolapses where organs may intermittently push past the cloacal vent due to constipation or diarrhoea.
    I have actually treated this before with dry-docking and using Manuka honey inside and around the vent. As you'd be aware, honey has antiseptic properties, especially Manuka honey.

From Wiki: The healing property of honey is due to the fact that it offers antibacterial activity, maintains a moist wound condition, and its high viscosity helps to provide a protective barrier to prevent infection. Its immunomodulatory property is relevant to wound repair too.

Regarding the Aquarium salts you've ordered, it's much cheaper to buy a small bag of a good grade pure evaporated sea salt from a pool shop or local food chain store.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Claire Bails

Claire Bails Hatchling Turtle

OK, I will try this. Thanks, Craig! :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Craig

Craig Administrator

Being such a young turtle, it would be best to dry-dock for 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours at a time using the honey treatment, then re-hydrate your turtle in a container with tank water for any hour, then repeating the process twice more. Do this daily until the irritation has disappeared. This treatment should help you avoid a trip to the vet. I doubt it would be internal parasites unless your turtle has been fed tadpoles or aquatic snails, then it could be.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Craig

Craig Administrator

You're welcome Claire.

The other good thing is that the honey helps to prevent the cloaca and Bursa from drying out, which affects some species more than others. The turtle species that utilise cloacal respiration more have problems that include bleeding from the bursa and cloacal region when they dry out for extended periods..

I have personally witnessed this when working for the QLD EPA/DERM/DEHP researching freshwater turtles.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rodney

Rodney Juvenile Turtle

Hi Claire,

Thanks for the information about the turtle conditioner. I have never come across it . Always learning something new.

11. Harry Desai

Harry Desai Hatchling Turtle

How is the turtle Claire ?