1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

BABY TURTLE

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by shelly the turtle, May 19, 2017.

1. shelly the turtle

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me?

2. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hi, help you how?

3. shelly the turtle

Thank you Craig,
    We found a baby turtle in a bucket with a bunch of guppies in a car park in Woodford on Sunday, about 3-4 cm wide, after researching I think it's a Macleay. One normal front leg the other looks like it's a little stump, same on back side as well.
    We called the vet who said to take it to Australia Zoo, I have been to 4 different pet shops to seek advice, all have told me it will probably die or won't help me because it apparently illegal to have it, but what person in their right mind is going to leave it there to be pecked at by crows. We have set up a tank with the water that was in the bucket and have slowly started introducing more water, we have some weed, the guppies that were in the bucket and some turtle food we got from the pet store. She seems happy enough, eating and climbing up on the rocks.

#3 shelly the turtle, May 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2017
  4. shelly the turtle

My question is, I have found a nice tank for her on Gumtree, I'm collecting it this evening, I'm wondering if she or he will need the heater and light setup as I'm assuming it has come from some creek. If I slowly start introducing more water to the water I have her in already, is that the right way to go? We have made her a little ramp as she seemed to have trouble climbing with her little stump, but as long as she has an area out of water, is that OK?

#4 shelly the turtle, May 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2017
  5. Craig

Craig Administrator

Hi, can you please supply some large, in-focus photos of the turtle in question please? This is for identification purposes so that we can proceed with answering your questions. :)

6. shelly the turtle

I know they are not the greatest, but the best I can provide ATM on my phone.
    She seems to be happier as each day passes. We have a temporary tank set up for her which we have used half creek water from one of the creeks close to where we found her bucket, but as we are unsure of exactly where she came from. And half rain water with conditioner .

IMG_2286.JPG IMG_2288.JPG IMG_2289.JPG

7. Craig

Craig Administrator

Hi, that is a Saw-shelled turtle (Myuchelys latisternum) with lots of algae on its shell. So it's not a new turtle, it's around 6 months old and was probably very happy and doing very well in its own environment until someone caught it and put it in a bucket.

If it's a female it can get to 30cm shell length. They also have a very sharp beak and large head with a strong jaw.

Below is a photo of how big they get to. Notice the size of the head. If bitten by one of these it is very painful, and I'm speaking from experience.

4577-1498190958-0426853913ebfc77985046c93cab307b.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    #7 Craig, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  8. Craig

Craig Administrator

Yes that's correct! It is illegal to take native wildlife from the wild. There are huge fines in place for those who break the law.
    The funny thing is that I'm sure you wouldn't take a baby Koala out of its natural environment then why take a baby turtle?

It is so easy and inexpensive to get one that is legal and bred in captivity. Freshwater turtles are the most endangered vertebrates on the planet due to pollution, poaching from the wild and habitat destruction. If you really cared about this turtle you would put it back into the creek where it came from and legally got one that was bred in captivity.

This way you won't have a turtle that may be full of parasites or one that could easily die due to maladaption syndrome.

We will not deny you help to look after this turtle properly, all we can do is advise you to do the right thing as others have already done. Let's hope that you have a conscience and you put the turtle's welfare before your own desires.

Anyone in their right mind would have put the turtle back where it belongs and has happily survived for the last 6 months.

No matter what excuse you make up it doesn't give you the right to remove a baby turtle from its home just because you want one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. shelly the turtle

Thank you everyone for your advice.
    If it was right next to the creek I would have tossed it in. It wasn't it was in a car park at the Woodford pub but has been taken back to a local spot and released.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Thank you @shelly the turtle for doing the right thing. It will have a much better chance of survival now as turtles taken from the wild that weren't bred in captivity suffer from Maladaptation Syndrome, (fail to adapt and settle into living in the confines of an aquarium) because their basic needs/requirements are not met due to the lack of knowledge/experience of the perpetrator and always die a slow agonising death.

As Craig has already mentioned, freshwater turtles, not just in Australia, but worldwide are all doing it tough, less than 1% of wild hatchlings make it to adulthood to breed and keep their species going thanks to many pressures, environmental, human impact, predation by feral animals, etc. Every hatchling in the wild has an important role to play in the preservation of its species AND the natural world.

A lot of people simply don't understand how precious little turtles are and how important their role in the environment is. Recreational Freshwater fisherman and sporting anglers alike absolutely loathe turtles and quite often mistreat or even kill them and consider them nothing more than a prevalent pain in the ars* by-catch. They couldn't be more wrong.

Turtles and the role they play in the environment is vital, without them, the rivers and waterways that sporting anglers and recreational fisherman enjoy so much would be nothing more than unproductive, polluted, stagnant, choked up cesspools.

Changing the attitudes of the ignorant is never an easy task however it's a challenge we've taken on here at AFT and we'll fight to the bitter end to save what's left of our precious turtles because a world without turtles would be a very unpleasant place.

Freshwater turtles, at more than 260 million years old, they're are the ultimate symbol of longevity and endurance. Their future is now quite literally in our hands.

3521-1420503050-df75dcab7a171ab3e6abdeaa6f16bf35.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. shelly the turtle

We have a snake we purchased from a breeder, 2 lizards also from breeders, even our dog, from a reputable breeder. And at only $100 a pop in the pet shop I would never have gone out hunting for a turtle. I honestly was looking for advice on what to do, I didn't feel I could have left it there and with a stumpy leg. I didn't know whether or not to put it in a creek. I didn't know what creek it came from. I was simply trying to figure out if I was to keep it and protect it, take it to the zoo or release. I was given so many different opinions that I thought it best to come to your forum.

#11 shelly the turtle, May 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2017