1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Baby Turtle's Back of Shell Soft

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Required' started by Charlie Beer, May 20, 2017.

1. Charlie Beer

Charlie Beer Hatchling Turtle

Hey my baby turtle's shell is soft at the back a little and I'm nervous if it may be the start of shell rot.
    She is a Northwest red-faced turtle and is 4cm straight carapace length. He is outside in an East facing house, he probably gets about 2 hours intense direct sunlight and about another 7 of medium sun-shade.
    292a46285ab5e3c9933fa10be532d819.jpg

If I softly, gradually press on the back of the shell it compresses is this normal for baby turtles or the beginning of something bad?

She is getting accustomed to her new home and isn't petrified when we come to check on her. She is also pretty active chasing all the fish in her tank climbing on her log and swimming in and out of it as well.
    I've noticed on the tips of the shell it is kind of clear

a754d579a4230af5669118303e943ec9.jpg

She doesn't seem to be less buoyant though.

c54e20cc67f48f94fde7559fa9a1d2f9.jpg

On my last post about the white fluff, it is peeling of so I can now say that it was just a shed, had me worried for a bit.

#1 Charlie Beer, May 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
  2. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Charlie,

Do you actually take the turtle outside or sun your turtle in the room that is in the first photo?

The rear of the carapace is normally a little flexible in short-necked turtles for the first few months. It wouldn't be shell rot as shell rot is very noticeable.
    Shell rot is distinctive and the shell can be literally soft like cheese and smelly like something is rotting. It can also look like white, yellow or black marks under the scutes.

Can you also upload photos of your turtle's plastron when you ask us for help identifying problems with your turtle. This is because shell rot starts small and can be visible on the underside of the shell as well.

Do you have Calgrit in your tank?

Just one other thing, there is no way that your turtle can be sexed at that size, so it could be a male or female. When it reaches 15cm SCL (Straight Carapace Length) we'll be able to tell you the sex of your turtle.

3. Craig

Craig Administrator

2 hours of direct intense sunlight up there could be dangerous to a turtle that size. We recommend taking your turtle outside in a dry container in the mornings or late afternoons for 10-20 minutes at a time, 3-5 days a week.

This way your turtle won't overheat and die under the harsh midday sun.

4. Charlie Beer

The turtle's tank is outside under a verandah and in the morning the sun rises at about 5:00 then it goes above the roof at about 7:00-7:30 so it isn't INTENSE but it is kinda direct.

Regarding the calgrit and river sand. Today we are going to Lake Kununurra and we are going to get a couple of buckets of this fine sand. (Did you know I saw a turtle there a couple of days ago but it was massive with a big fat neck).

Good to know that I should upload photos of the plastron as well.

#4 Charlie Beer, May 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
  5. Craig

Craig Administrator

Hey Charlie, any sunlight through glass does NOT provide any UVB whatsoever!

Glass and Perspex filters out UVB.

This may be the reason the back of your turtle's carapace is still flexible, and if your tank doesn't have any calgrit to prevent calcium from leaching out of your turtle's shell and bones, your turtle's health will slowly decline and your turtle may develop MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease).

Regarding the Calgrit. Did you get any?

6. Charlie Beer

OK, if I was to take Dynamite out into a green shell in the sun for a little while, will birds try to eat him? We have many kites in the area and it could have a bad result.
    Where should I source calgrit?

#6 Charlie Beer, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  7. Craig

Craig Administrator

Hi again Charlie, have you even read the Care Guide? (The link to it was in one of the first replies you ever received).
    Yes local wildlife or free roaming kittens will try and eat your turtle!
    You can get bird wire or a cage with a wire lid and put a container in it. You'll need to try to be resourceful and work these things out for yourself. Actually reading the Care Guide will answer 90% of your questions.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=where+can+I+buy+calgrit+from?

You could also buy it from the same pet shop you bought your turtle from. Reptile one sell calgrit in Pet Shops as 'Turtle Substrate'.

8. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Charlie, I'm somewhat confused about your whole setup. The tank is outside? OK, is the tank connected to a power source at all? Are you running UVB lighting over the tank? Does it have an aquarium water heater and a filter hooked up and operating or is this turtle literally just plopped in a tank of water outside under the verandah??

Please confirm.

9. Charlie Beer

I have an aquarium heater, and a filter and it is operating all the time.
    I do not have a UVB light as I thought that being in the sun in the mornings was OK but glass stops the UVB.

The tank is outside.

726a71548cee91f3350ec28e3b1325ac.jpg

10. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi mate, that filter is just a small internal sponge type right? If so, I highly recommend investing in an external canister, one that turns the entire volume of your aquarium over at least 7X per hour.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Charlie Beer

My tank is a 68 litre tank and it is a pump for 15-100 litres so does that filter anymore. I'll have a look at the external canisters.