1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

C.steindachneri aka flat shelled or dinner plate turtle

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Christine, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Christine

Christine Hatchling Turtle

Hello! So recently I posted about these guys and was told not many people had luck with keeping them, so I thought I’d share my experience so far. :)
    I’ve had my little guy (or girl) going on about a month so far and he’s my first ever turtle so after reading that people have struggled with them I started to panic, but now I’ve had him a little while I find he’s actually pretty “easy”.
    I made sure I had a fully cycled tank/set up before getting one so I knew he'd be going into the right environment straight off.
    I live in a fairly small country town so I have limited “turtle food” available to me so I make do with what I can get, he’s got a diet of crickets, woodies, earthworms, prawns and frozen blister packs (doesn’t get them too often). He’s a real guts and gives you those “I’m so hungry” eyes even after having just eaten but he’s not fussy and is happy to eat anything he’s given.
    He’s extremely social, will swim over to the side of the tank and pop his head out just to come see me, he’ll follow me as I walk past his tank, he’ll let me pat him and seems to enjoy the interaction. He has no issues basking during the day even with a lot of movement in the house.
    All in all for my first ever turtle, it’s going super well haha.
    Side note - he’s about 2yo and come from a pond into a tank.

F3DF1B16-E743-4B70-9D86-EF3520B50B34.jpeg FEDA10C3-AB88-4700-89AF-11DB249EA9D3.jpeg FCD84824-B9E4-44CD-A23A-ED6D94BC292C.jpeg

2. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

Well done Christine! You're doing very well and he/she is such a cute little turtle.

3. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Christine, thanks for the awesome pics, would love to see some photos of him in your tank. :gotpics: