1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Concerns for the shell and general health of my Macleay

Discussion in 'Common Health Problems, Injuries and Treatments' started by Turtle Jake, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Turtle Jake

Turtle Jake Hatchling Turtle

Hi all, after taking my turtle to the vet about a month ago for an injury to his neck and then dry-docking him for a couple of weeks, I noticed that a lot of his scutes were shedding abnormally and now a number of them seem half-peeled. Im fairly sure this is abnormal and am wondering how to treat it.

IMG_6939.JPG
    IMG_6927.JPG

My second concern is that I have just noticed that the skin at his hind legs seem bloated. Although he has been eating quite a bit (I have seen him eat half a dozen or so guppies, on top of the water lettuce and Val in the tank, and me feeding him Hikari gold or a woodie every second/third day) I was told he is slightly underweight when I visited the vet a month ago.
    IMG_6938.JPG IMG_6936.JPG

All the photos were taken after about an hour of basking. I also recently re-arranged my tank setup as my UVB lights and basking dock were on opposite sides of the tank and my basking dock was a too hot 40°- 45°C, so its quite possible he didn't have adequate UVB.
    Thank you all so much for any help.

2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi mate. Abnormal shedding or the inability to shed completely is caused by Dysecdysis. It often reflects substandard husbandry, nutrient deficient diet, etc. It can also be a result of certain infectious diseases and or parasitism.

3. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Turtle Jake,

Your turtle is overweight. I just think it is necessary to mention this to you.

PS. Sorry for the delayed response. I actually wrote this earlier but due to important phone calls that interrupted me, I forgot to click on Post Reply.

4. Turtle Jake

No worries, thanks for the response! I'll make sure to cut back a bit on feeding then. Just a bit worried as only a month ago I was told he was underweight and now he looks significantly larger at the back limbs.

What would the treatment process be for Dysecdysis? Really concerned about his shell. I'll do a quick chemistry check to see if the water is okay and update this post.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 7, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 7, 2017 ---
    pH- 8.0
    Ammonia- 0.25ppm
    Nitrate- 0ppm
    Nitrite- 0ppm

5. Craig

Craig Administrator

When you have ammonia at 0.25 and pH very high at 8.0, Ammonia becomes extremely toxic. This is something that you need to rectify ASAP.

If you have any ammonia then either your tank is not cycled properly or your filtration is inadequate and it is going through a 'mini cycle'. Either way you must neutralise the ammonia with some Seachem Prime immediately and monitor the water for ammonia more frequently.

From the Care Guide
    Increasing the pH to an alkaline reading at the higher end of the scale of around 8.0 for very short periods can be used as a preventative and cure for some skin infections but ammonia in your water becomes very toxic at this pH.

:turtlecaresheet:

6. Craig

Craig Administrator

Hi Jake,

The treatment for Dysecdysis is to take your turtle out more frequently for some dry time under natural sunlight as well as an improved diet with raw prawns with their shells still on but head and tail removed, and cut into small pieces that can be easily eaten. The keratin in the prawns shell is the same as the scutes on your turtle's shell which are also made from keratin. Make sure that your UVB producing fluorescent light is replaced every 6 months and is less than 15cm from your turtle's basking platform if it is a T8 and if it is a T5 replace it every 12 months and make sure that it is 30cm or just over 30cm from your turtle's basking platform.

7. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Good morning Jake, it's alarming to learn that you're keeping a Macleay in an aquarium that has free ammonia present, Macleays are SUPER SENSITIVE to water chemistry and will not tolerate ammonia or nitrite at all. Do you have any Seachem Prime? If not, get some ASAP.

For the dysecdysis, the AFT care guide states that all turtles kept indoors should be taken outside for natural morning or late afternoon sunlight for 15-20 minutes, 3-5 times/week. If this isn't practical, you'll need to invest in a quality Mercury Vapour Lamp and use it as your basking lamp to help supplement UVB.
    20150712_200638-1.jpg

P1000334-1.JPG

DSCF1950.JPG

8. Turtle Jake

Thanks for the help!
    I have bought some prawns to give to Finn and will be looking at getting a Mercury Vapour Bulb tomorrow. Will the bulb replace my current heat lamp bulb or should I use it in addition to my heat lamp (What it looks like in Kev's Photo)?
    Sorry for the late response, I'm having troubles getting into the forum on my home wifi, as "My IP address has been blocked". Not sure whats happened here as I'm not using a VPN and my IP address hasn't changed since posting this thread (and others before it).