1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Diet

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Suzanne, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Suzanne

Suzanne Egg

Hello everyone, I'm new to this and still working my way around I'm wondering if it's OK to feed my baby turtle pellets from the pet shop, they get ignored by my baby and prefers mealworms and earthworms, which are sometimes hard to get, what do I do?
    Thank you.

#1 Suzanne, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2017
  2. Rodney

Rodney Juvenile Turtle

Hi Suzanne

If you have a long neck it will probably not eat pellets. Mealworms are not suitable as food for turtles. Their hard exoskeleton may cause intestinal blockages and they are high in fat content.

Short necks will eat pellets and AFT recommends several on the threads. But short necks should predominantly eat plants. Duckweed is good with its high calcium content.

Earthworms and silkworms are good for both long and short necks turtles.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 9, 2017, Original Post Date: Jul 9, 2017 ---
    Also Suzanne feeder fish such as live bearers including guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies and Gambusia are also suitable. In many regions you can wild catch the Gambusia for free.

3. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Suzanne and :aftwelcome:

Please tell us what species your turtle is, if you're unsure, upload a photo of it here and I'll tell you.

Below are some of the standard posts and threads we ask new members to have a look at:

Please read the 'AFT Turtle Care Guide' :arrowright: AFT Freshwater Turtle Care Guide

The following is essential reading Quick Reference Guide :arrowright: How To Set Up An Aquarium For Turtles and Feeding Guide

Why you Shouldn't Keep Two Turtles Together :arrowright: Keeping Two Turtles Together

To understand why we make the recommendations that we do in the Care Guide
    please read this informative post :arrowright: Why we make the recommendations that we do here on AFT Part 1

Also, it would be best to familiarise yourself with the skin infections care sheet located here :arrowright: Skin Infections

After that, you can read the Most Common Mistakes made by novice keepers thread here :arrowright: Common Mistakes

If your turtle is sick or injured and needs dry-docking :arrowright: Important Tips for Dry-Docking Sick Turtles

If you have any questions about why we recommend Calgrit/Turtle Grit and River Sand instead of pebbles and small rocks, please read this thread as well :arrowright: Gravel Blockage-Very sick turtle!

How to measure the
    Straight Carapace Length (SCL) of a Turtle's Shell :arrowright: Measuring the Straight Carapace Length of a turtles shell

If you have any specific questions after that, please go ahead and ask. If you want to search a particular subject, look at the top of the page for the Advanced Search link and type in the word or topic you wish to learn about.

© www.turtles.net.au (Please note- ATK FB)

4. Suzanne

Suzanne Egg

Thanks Rodney, He's a short-necked turtle. I bought some neon tetras and elodea today and when I fed the fish he ate it as well, so I hope that's OK. I'll throw out the mealworms, or give them to the Peewees in the backyard. I do have gambusia in my ponds outside which will come in handy.

I have a good supply of earthworms at the moment, but I'll persist with the pellets as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member Silver Level Supporter

Hi Suzanne, what type of pellets do you have for your turtle?

6. Suzanne

Suzanne Egg

Hi Simon, they are Reptile one, turtle sticks (complete diet food).

Thanks, Suzanne.

#6 Suzanne, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2017
  7. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member Silver Level Supporter

AFT recommends only feeding Hikari Cichlid Gold pellets or Exo Terra turtle pellets as only they have the correct calcium to phosphorus ratio.

8. Suzanne

Suzanne Egg

Thanks Simon.

9. Rodney

Rodney Juvenile Turtle

Hi Suzanne

You are off to a good start with the earthworms and the pond is also a great resource. The Gambusia are handy and so are other water insects. Avoid water snails and tadpoles as they both are carriers of parasites. In the pond do you have Vallisneria/Ribbon weed or Azolla? Both are good food for short necks.

If you get a chance upload photos of your aquarium and turtle. Sometimes retailers or even breeders provide very poor information.

Recently I saw an AFT a member who had a turtle in WA which I would have given my eye tooth for. While scrolling through WA retailers I found turtle husbandry information that was worse than appalling. Good luck.

10. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Throw them in the bin, they're about as beneficial as eating newspaper and cardboard. These are the ones you want.
    4249-1471139685-5e73d29a960500ba226979a19dfb358e.jpg

4586-1499457311-e446b2ff1b3aeb28926273cd9cb7283c.jpg

Be aware that pellets should be use very sparingly as a dietary supplement only - no more than once/week.. The bulk of a short-necked turtles diet is aquatic plant material, aquatic weeds and filamentous algae. You need to get some native duckweed.
    Duckweed is a highly nutritious favourite for all short-necks.
    3945-1447483889-20747e3bc3c97fb1a93f9fc4ac4b9053.jpg
    75% of a short-necked turtles diet is aquatic plants. Duckweed, Azolla, Elodea and Valisneria are preferred.
    3420-1418444299-26db00583aa2fe9c793cb35835ea9097.jpg

11. Michael and Steph

Michael and Steph Hatchling Turtle

Worm farms are a great resource. My suggestion would be to use the Styrofoam box method rather than an expensive worm farm from the shops. My local pet store gets me two bags of duckweed a week from Queensland and another pet store gets me Val. I don't really buy pellets of any type anymore as the turtles prefer the green stuff and the prawns and worms 10X more with the odd declawed yabbie when I can get them.