1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Dock light /lamp

Discussion in 'Heating, Lighting & UV' started by Chigibub, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Chigibub

Chigibub Hatchling Turtle

HELP! OK so I'm still not feeling confident with my final decision on what lights and dock lights to use over my new 6ft tank. The turtle dock is in the right hand side corner of the tank, there is a 15cm gap between the dock and the top of the tank.
    I'm trying to decide if I should put a 6FT long T8 UVB light over the tank, plus a dock heat lamp. (I was thinking a MVB)? Or a 4FT UVB light across the tank and two separate types of heat lamps, (UVB lamps over the dock?)

Any advice on what is the best equipment that I should use would be much appreciated. There are so many different lamps for docks and I'm so confused.

#1 Chigibub, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2017
  2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

G'day mate.
    To me, your best option is, (this is what I'd do if I had a 6ft tank) to use 2× dual 4ft reflectors over your tank. Have them positioned over your tank so that they're running from either end and overlapping in the middle of the tank. This will allow you to run 2× UVB Fluoro tubes and 2× full spectrum tubes over your aquarium for sufficient lighting and UVB lighting coverage over the entire tank without and dark spots.

As for the dock, it's easy. You can either use a straight heat source lamp or one that combines both heat and UVB. Basically, this is entirely up to you. It depends how often you get your turtles outside for natural sunlight. If you get them outside regularly, (within the guidelines set out in the AFT care guide), you could do without using an MVB lamp and just use a heat lamp. Me personally, I use both a heat lamp AND a MVB lamp over my main turtle dock.

As for brands, there is a lot out there but there's only a few recommended by AFT. For heat alone, we recommend the Exo-Terra Swamp-Glo range of heat lamps. These lamps are specifically designed for aquarium use. They are splash proof and shatter resistant. The 50-75 watt versions usually do the job nicely depending on what time of year it is.
    https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/exo-terra-swamp-glo-75-watt.html

As for MVB lamps, my personal favorites are the Exo-Terra Solar Glo lamps in either 125 or 160 watt. I believe now there's an 80 watt version also available.
    20150712_200638-1.jpg
    https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/exo-terra-solar-glo-125-watt-mercury-vapour.html

My heat lamp setup.
    4117-1462253933-29b90c0bec7966332b807d7bc70ff6a5.jpg

#2 Aussiepride83, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  3. Chigibub

Chigibub Hatchling Turtle

Thank you so much, :) I love your setup. That's a great help, :) curious to know does your set up create a lot of heat in your home as well ? And what type of globe holders would you recommend as safe?