1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

First time posting- tank size question :) :)

Discussion in 'Keeping Turtles Indoors (Aquariums)' started by Missmercury83, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Missmercury83

Hey everyone,
    Been enjoying having a good read of the forum over the past few days and thought I'd start off with a question regarding tank size. We are thinking of getting an Eastern long-neck soon, but wondering, if we were to get a baby, would my 2ft tank suffice until I sourced a 4ft tank which is my goal (and hope to obtain one within the next 2 months). Or am I better off to just wait til I find my ideal tank?

Thank you. :)

#1 Missmercury83, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello.
    A 2ft tank is too small for any turtle. It doesn't hold enough water to allow for a stable environment. The minimum sized tank for a new ELN hatchling is a standard 3ft fish tank. Then when the turtle is large enough, it will need to move into a 4×2×2 sized tank, NOT a standard 4ft fish tank which is too narrow for a turtle.

3. Missmercury83

Great. Thank you so much for the advice. A 4ft tank it is then. :)

#3 Missmercury83, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017