1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Frog pond

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Bentaz, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Bentaz

Bentaz Juvenile Turtle

This is a frog pond and dry creek bed I built a few years ago for a customer balls 122.jpg balls 131.jpg balls 115.jpg There were a few more improvements made after these pics were taken, a few more plants like native iris and Spanish bi-colour's and a small solar pump fountain.
    I tried to to talk them into a bigger pond and an actual flowing creek but they were worried about kids drowning in there, which is fair enough.
    Every time I designed a garden or did a make over for someone I always tried to talk them into 2 ponds with a creek running between them. :laugh: Not that I'm biased or anything...
    Unfortunately for the frogs in that area the same kids that they didn't want to drown in the pond chucked rocks and god knows what else in there and popped the liner, on discussion with them they decided not to fix it until the hedge grows along the boundary enough to keep people out.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Looks good mate. It's a shame a lot of kids aren't taught to respect other people's property and wildlife these days. I've witnessed and heard some real horror stories about what they've done to freshwater turtles.

3. Bentaz

Bentaz Juvenile Turtle

It's a real shame, they spent quite a bit of money and I put a whole stack of elbow grease into, I wish I had some before pic's of the gardens, they were a huge overgrown mess we we first got there. The creek is still intact and the hedge's are growing so hopefully in the not too distant future the sound of frogs will be heard around there!
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 13, 2016, Original Post Date: Sep 13, 2016 ---
    As an indicator of the size of the trees we pulled out of there have a look at the logs next to the pond, they were from trees we removed that were threatening to crush the house. :laugh:!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Craig

Craig Administrator

Yeah hopefully they'll let you have a go at fixing it once the hedges are big enough!

5. Bentaz

Bentaz Juvenile Turtle

Probably get roped into doing it for free. :laugh: I have recently had to pack the business in due to health reasons (why I've got too much time on my hands now and plenty of time to read posts ) but I did a lot of work there and have become friends with them.

6. Craig

Craig Administrator

Sorry to hear that mate. In your line of business I imagine the number one reason would be damage to your back.

7. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

8. Bentaz

Bentaz Juvenile Turtle

:laugh: yeah I've always liked other people's frogs.
    I'm happy just to have the wild ones outside.