1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Hatchling care

Discussion in 'General Turtle Care Discussion' started by Viley, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Viley

Viley Egg

Just got 5 newly hatched eastern long necks from a salvaged nest. Will look to release in a about 3 days (when safe and I’ve organised a new environment) but for now I need feeding and care recommendations please. Nest salvaged from an excavation site so re-release at sane spot is not an option but can release into Samar our property. Just want to make sure I feed them properly in the mean time and have the right food growing or living when I release. Any helpful advice appreciated.

2. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Hi mate, what is Samar our property?

3. Viley

Viley Egg

Oh sorry. I got autocorrected. I don't know how to edit it. "Into the dam at our property."

#4 Viley, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2017
  4. Viley

Viley Egg

So will they be OK without eating for a couple of days? That feels like starving them.

#5 Viley, Apr 2, 2017
  5. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

They will definitely be fine. Reptiles have a much different metabolism to us starving mammals that need to eat 5 times/day.

The little turtles won't even be hungry.

#6 Aussiepride83, Apr 2, 2017
  6. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Hatchling turtles have at least 1-2 weeks of sustenance available to them through the yolk that they slowly absorb through their umbilicus.

7. Viley

Viley Egg

Thank you. That is very helpful. My husband had been advised to give small portions of washed fresh prawns. It's possible these little guys hatched nearly a week ago and got trapped in the clay like dirt they were found in. So it's possible they've got a few more days of yolky goodness left.

#8 Viley, Apr 2, 2017