1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Heating a pond?

Discussion in 'Keeping Turtles Outdoors (Ponds & Dams)' started by Ryanboz, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Ryanboz

Ryanboz Egg

Hi guys.

I know this has been asked in other threads but I won't be able to put my mind at ease unless I ask these specific questions.

I've just moved my Murray River turtle into an outdoor pond (in Melbourne) Everything is going well but the temp in the morning is around 15 degrees. Probably lower throughout the night.
    We are still having hot days in the high 20's every now and then.

With the weather changing so often, should I heat the pond to keep it a stable temp (around 20 degrees?) or will the turtle be OK.

Also, with the water temp being around 15-18deg Should I be feeding as normal? And when should I stop?

Or is all of this normal for this time of year and should I just leave the heater off and feed normally until the water temp drops to around 12-13 degrees in winter?

I don't mind paying to heat the pond if I have to but I want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Thanks in advance.

2. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Hey mate, if the temperature of the pond is already 15° then you should have stopped feeding your turtle a couple of weeks ago.
    It can take up to two weeks for a turtle to completely digest its food due to their slow metabolism. I'd recommend turning the heat up to 18° for two weeks then turn it down a degree every day after that.

The longer it takes for a meal to digest the more chance there is for the food to go rancid in its digestive tract.

3. Ryanboz

Ryanboz Egg

So I'll turn it up to 18° to help digest the food? And then start feeding again after winter?

Cheers

4. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Yes mate.

5. Ryanboz

Ryanboz Egg

Thanks heaps mate.

6. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

You're very welcome!

7. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Hey mate, the following is from the other thread where Ryan talks about setting up his new pond.