Hi everyone

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by PatsyT, Mar 18, 2017.

1. PatsyT

PatsyT Egg

Hi all
    Firstly, I'd like to thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience with other turtle owners. For me, it has provided some clarity to the multitude of different advice (some of it bad) that we have received about keeping our turtle Patsy happy and healthy.

Patsy is a long neck who I adopted from someone who was seriously ill and could not look after him any more. When we got him, he was in a 2 foot tank with gravel and an under gravel filter. We were told that he was about 10 and that was all the information we were provided. We've had him now for about 5 years. He has since moved to QLD with us, has a much bigger tank and we love him dearly.

Recently I noticed that he was having trouble staying at the bottom of the tank (he would float backside up to the top). So off to the vet we went, only to learn that we were doing some things wrong. So after antibiotics, periodical dry dock and some other medication, he is on the mend.

We are still getting his tank cycled and trying to get levels perfected before he is in there full time. He has a new canister filter which has been in cycle for about 5 weeks. Nitrates are still a bit high but slowly coming down.

So, apologies for the long winded story but I do have a question. How fine does the river sand need to be? We got some from a landscaping supplies place but it has pebbles in it. I am currently sieving it through a 1ml sieve prior to washing it (3 hours and a quarter of a bucket later). Is this overkill? I'm more than happy to continue if needed but am keen to get it into the tank ASAP so that the pH can sort itself.

Also, aussiepride83, from your photo it looks like you are/were in defence service. Thank you for your service and trying to make peace in the world. ✌

Appreciate your help, thanks.

#1 PatsyT, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2017
  2. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Hi and welcome to AFT.

Some photos of your turtle and your turtle's tank would be very helpful for us.

Are you feeding your turtle crickets? Was your turtle diagnosed with having a skin or respiratory infection?

The river sand should be no larger than 3mm. I used to sieve tonnes of river sand by the trailer load as some states had difficulty getting decent river sand.

Aussiepride83 wasn't in the military. He lost a relative recently who served in many conflicts overseas for Australia. He was quite a decorated hero.

Below are some of the standard posts and threads we ask new members to have a look at:

Please read the 'AFT Turtle Care Guide' :arrowright: AFT Freshwater Turtle Care Guide

Why you Shouldn't Keep Two Turtles Together :arrowright: Keeping Two Turtles Together

To understand why we make the recommendations that we do in the Care Guide
    please read this informative post :arrowright: Why we make the recommendations that we do here on AFT Part 1

Also, it would be best to familiarise yourself with the skin infections care sheet located here :arrowright: Skin Infections

After that, you can read the Most Common Mistakes made by novice keepers thread here :arrowright: Common Mistakes

If your turtle is sick or injured and needs dry-docking :arrowright: Important Tips for Dry-Docking Sick Turtles

If you have any questions about why we recommend Calgrit/Turtle Grit and River Sand instead of pebbles and small rocks,
    please read this thread as well :arrowright: Gravel Blockage-Very sick turtle!

How to measure the
    Straight Carapace Length (SCL) of a Turtle's Shell :arrowright: Measuring the Straight Carapace Length of a turtles shell

If you have any specific questions after that, please go ahead and ask. If you want to search a particular subject, look at the top of the page for the Advanced Search link and type in the word or topic you wish to learn about.

3. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

G'day and :aftwelcome:

Sieving your sand through a 2mm sieve is fine. :)
    A general rinse under running water is all that's needed to remove any fine silt and debris from your sand. Simply 1/3 fill a bucket with sand and then run your hose directly into it with a mild force... Slosh the sand and water around and gently pour the dirty water off. Continue this until the water runs clear. Then that batch of sand is done. Add new sand to your bucket and repeat. :)

My avatar photo is of my late grandfather, John who passed away from Leukaemia on Christmas day 2016. It was taken in 1962 on the Mekong River. He was aged 32 in this photo. He served in the Australian Army from May 1953 - November 1973 with tours in Malaysia, Borneo, Papua New Guinea, Korea and Vietnam.
    Thank you for your kind comments. :)

4. PatsyT

PatsyT Egg

Thanks Craig.
    I will put some pics up shortly. I have read the care guides and they are a wonderful resource, the dry dock one was really helpful.
    Re the sand, I just measured my first sieve and yes, 1 mm. My second sieve is 2mm so I will use that to finish the job.
    The vet said he had a respiratory infection. He seems much better and can walk along the bottom of the tank now.
    Again, really appreciate your help.

5. PatsyT

PatsyT Egg

Also thanks to you aussiepride83. Sorry to hear of your grandpa's passing. What a wonderful human.
    YAY for the 2mm sieve!