1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Hi.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by PJA, Oct 25, 2017.

1. PJA

PJA Egg

A few Turtle people said I should Join this forum to get Ideas for a few new above ground ponds I want to set up. I have been keeping Aussie Turtles since 1999 in Brissy and currently have a 3000L pond with a few species I want to separate into larger ponds as well as a few tanks of their offspring I want to move outside now they are larger.

2. smoyle

smoyle Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

Hey mate, welcome to AFT, have a look around, there's a ton of info on pretty much anything you could wish to know.

3. Craig

Craig Founding Member/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

4. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

G'day mate and :aftwelcome:

What species of turtles do you keep and breed?

5. PJA

PJA Egg

Hey there, I currently keep Brisbane River turtles (could be hybrids as they are peoples unwanted pets), Saw-shells, one male Krefft and a pair of ELNs. The Brisbane Rivers / Saw-shells and ELNs have all bred over the last few years, most of the turtles are from people who have lost interest in keeping them (all on licence) but I stopped accepting turtles about 5 years ago due to room.

I'd like to separate the different species into their own ponds as I have read the Brisbane Rivers and Saw-shells can interbreed (the Krefft is on his own). They have all been kept outside the pond has a great bio filter, pH, GH and NO3 is checked regularly.

I need to make a few larger ponds and I will connect them all up for a greater water volume, hopefully I will have another four or so 2m x 2m ponds sorted once I have time to start building,so just looking at how others make their setups.

6. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Hi mate, it's the Brisbane River and Krefft's that can interbreed. You can keep Brisbane River turtles and Saw-shells together in a pond. The ELN's should be kept separate from all short-necks due to their passive nature.

7. PJA

PJA Egg

I was aware of the Krefft's being able to breed with the Brisbane rivers (why he's separated), but thought the Saw-shells could as well?
    I plan on separating all the species into individual ponds.

8. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Technically any species can interbreed, however, it it unlikely. Also, if they, (Emydura macquarii signata and Myucheys latisternum) did manage to mate successfully, the hatchlings would be sterile.