1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Is this substrate and basking bulb sufficient?

Discussion in 'Heating, Lighting & UV' started by Kadi, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Kadi

Kadi Egg

Hi, just looking at my basking bulb and am wondering if the UVB 150 is too strong? The sales assistant called the Exo-Terra rep, who said it is fine for turtles but I read on a link from a previous thread to use UVB 10.
    Also, I just bought some substrate for Sheldon's tank. We were looking for calgrit but couldn't find it so we bought coral sand, under the instruction of an aquarium worker.

#1 Kadi, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2017
  2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi, can you please upload a photo of the light you're asking about?

Please tell me you haven't yet put the coral sand in your turtle tank, because if you have, you'll need to remove it all. It's far too abrasive and dangerous for freshwater turtles. It'll wear the barbels off your turtle's chin, damage the fine gill like bursa in its cloaca and act like sandpaper on its skin and shell.
    Always ALWAYS check here first for confirmation before buying a product for turtles...

3. Kadi

Kadi Egg

No, we haven't put the coral sand in yet. I have attached the bulb box below. Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

OK that's good news about the coral sand, return it and get your money back. You can order calgrit online from here.
    https://www.petandgarden.com.au/pou...algrit-poultry-supplement-20-kg-cal-grit.html

As for the light, it's totally useless because it's a compact type fluoro. Your turtle won't benefit from that at all. You really need to use a fluorescent tube in a reflector housing above and across the entire length of the tank. The tube should be rated UVB 10.0. The reputable brands are Exo-Terra Reptiglo and Zoo Med Reptisun.
    lg-77518-60237-reptile.jpg

lg-27554-60869-reptile.jpg