1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Licensing help

Discussion in 'Reptile Licensing / Licence Information' started by Fal, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Fal

Fal Egg

So, I don't know where else to put this, sorry if it is the wrong section. I am in need of assistance regarding taking over the care of a 6 year old Eastern long neck.

The issue is, the turtle has no correct paperwork. The current owner has a licence, but he was never put on it, no record book and no movement advice from the owner before them. The owner before them no longer has their licence or any of the original paperwork that came with the turtle when he was purchased.

Basically they just didn't do their research and I have no idea how to get around it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want him to end up in the same situation again; he needs a forever home.

#1 Fal, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2017
  2. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Fal,

Can you please tell me what state you live in and if the turtle is coming into your care from someone in the same state that you live in?

3. Fal

Fal Egg

Hi Craig,

Thanks for replying.
    Both myself and the turtle are in Queensland with about an hour or so between us.

4. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Fal and :aftwelcome:

Hopefully this situation can be resolved for you. :)

In the meantime, here's some reading for you in preparation for becoming a turtle owner. :)

Below are some of the standard posts and threads we ask new members to have a look at:

Please read the 'AFT Turtle Care Guide' :arrowright: AFT Freshwater Turtle Care Guide

Why you Shouldn't Keep Two Turtles Together :arrowright: Keeping Two Turtles Together

To understand why we make the recommendations that we do in the Care Guide
    please read this informative post :arrowright: Why we make the recommendations that we do here on AFT Part 1

Also, it would be best to familiarise yourself with the skin infections care sheet located here :arrowright: Skin Infections

After that, you can read the Most Common Mistakes made by novice keepers thread here :arrowright: Common Mistakes

If your turtle is sick or injured and needs dry-docking :arrowright: Important Tips for Dry-Docking Sick Turtles

If you have any questions about why we recommend Calgrit/Turtle Grit and River Sand instead of pebbles and small rocks,
    please read this thread as well :arrowright: Gravel Blockage-Very sick turtle!

How to measure the
    Straight Carapace Length (SCL) of a Turtle's Shell :arrowright: Measuring the Straight Carapace Length of a turtles shell

If you have any specific questions after that, please go ahead and ask. If you want to search a particular subject, look at the top of the page for the Advanced Search link and type in the word or topic you wish to learn about.

5. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Fal, you'll need to either apply for a QLD Recreational Reptile Licence then contact whichever of the following offices is closer to where you live, with a letter explaining the whole situation.

Department of Environment and Heritage Protection, Wildlife Management Office.
    PO Box 64
    BELLBOWRIE QLD 4070

Or PO Box 3130, Red Hill
    ROCKHAMPTON QLD 4701

Or PO Box 5597
    TOWNSVILLE QLD 4810

Or PO Box 975
    ATHERTON QLD 4883

You could also give them a call on 1300 130 372 and select option 4 on the phone.

(which is Licensing and permits: Select 4 for information or application forms for:

• recreational and commercial wildlife and plant licenses or permits
    • environmental licenses or permits.)