1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Lighting

Discussion in 'Heating, Lighting & UV' started by atory, Aug 10, 2017.

1. atory

atory Egg

Hi guys,

I'm upgrading the lighting on my tank and trying to decide which products to buy. I'm running a 6ft x 2ft tank.
    I have seen posted previously that people have 2 x UVB fluoro's over their tank. I was wondering if this is a necessity as I am also wanting to run the tropical fluoro therefore I would need to purchase 2 x double reflectors. I have purchased the 125w solar glo sun simulating bulb and cage to suspend over the dock so would it be overkill to run 2 x UVB fluro's over the entire length of the tank or would 1 be sufficient?

I'm considering the aqua one LED reflectors vs the aqua one fluoro glow double reflectors. The LED reflector fits 13w T8 LED tubes, is this acceptable lighting vs a 10.0 fluoro?

I hope my questions make sense.
    Thank you in advance!

2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

(:hmmm)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. atory

atory Egg

Hi Kev,
    My tank is 6ft in length, I think you may have missed that part.
    Any advice on the lighting?
    Ash

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

6. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Ash,

You should have UVB 10.0 lights running the full length of the tank. In your case the best thing for you to do is to have at least 1 double 4ft reflector and a double 2ft reflector. That way you can run a 4ft 10.0 UVB reptile light and a 4ft full spectrum light in the 6500 Kelvin colour temperature range for your plants as well as a 2ft 10.0 UVB reptile light and a 2ft full spectrum light in the 6500 Kelvin colour temperature range, the full length of your tank.