1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

My Turtle Behaviour

Discussion in 'Turtle Behaviour' started by Pizzuto, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

If you didn't know that your turtle overheated then the first thing you would do is get an X-ray. It is very strange that the vet didn't take one. If it was my turtle I would still get an X-ray (see highlighted text below).

The overheating on the dock could merely be a symptom due to his behaviour change and not the cause of the posterior leg paralysis as you believe. There is also the possibility that your turtle overheated because he hauled out and refused to move from his dock due to one of the 5 major causes mentioned above.

I wouldn't dry-dock your turtle but return your turtle to his aquarium, making certain that he is able to swim to the surface using his front legs. If not, you will need to set up a shallow tub with a small heater and enough water to cover his shell but shallow enough so that he can breathe when he stretches his neck out.

2. Pizzuto

Pizzuto Hatchling Turtle

Thanks for your help Craig. He is still eating and seems to be moving around a bit more. Hopefully he will gradually improve.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 15, 2017 at 8:42 AM, Original Post Date: Aug 10, 2017 ---
    Quick update, It seems like my turtle looks a bit puffy under the hind legs. I have only just noticed this after the vet was putting his fingers under there feeling the turtles insides.

Any ideas?

He couldn't have swallowed anything as I only have calgrit and river sand so I don't believe there is a blockage.

3. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Mathew,

Could you please upload a couple of clear photos of the hind limb pockets?