1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

New tank using an established filter

Discussion in 'Filtration and Water Chemistry' started by Anna C, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Anna C

Anna C Hatchling Turtle
    Bronze Level Supporter

Hello everyone !!!

Well after a very long 6 months, Donkey has fully recovered, and is now ready to head back to her tank !!! We have bought a new 5ft x 2ft x 2ft tank, as we were a little concerned about her old tank, not giving her enough room to move freely. My children have now asked for a divorce, as I have changed our whole living room, just to fit the new tank in !!! :laugh:
    My river sand from Amazing Amazon arrived this week, and I was shocked at the difference between it and some aquarium sand another shop here in Adelaide sold me, telling me it would be fine for my turtle!
    I have had my nautilus 2700 UVC, running on her old tank with an exsisting smaller filter, with around 100 guppies in it for about 2 months now, so I know that it is fully established. My question is, will I still need to do a full cycle on this new tank, even though I have a well established filter? It has been an emotional roller coaster, getting Donkey back to full health, after all the mistakes that I have made, and I don't want to make anymore !!!
    Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated !!!
    Many thanks
    Anna C

2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Anna, your new tank might go through a mini-cycle. Just have Seachem Prime on hand in case you notice any ammonia in the first fortnight.

You shouldn't have any problems.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Anna C

Anna C Hatchling Turtle
    Bronze Level Supporter

Hi Kev,

Thank you so much for your advice and quick reply !! It's funny, but when it comes to my beautiful girl, I always come here for advice first, before making any moves !! I will definitely get some Seachem Prime today.

You guys are lifesavers, and one of the main reasons why Donkey is still around, to reach this exciting day !!!

So much thanks !!!
    Anna C

• Like Like x 1
  4. Anna C

Anna C Hatchling Turtle
    Bronze Level Supporter

Hello everyone !!

Well Donkey is in her new tank, and seems to be loving it, although she missed the memo about the dock in her tank and keeps hiding under it rather than on it....:facepalm:

I will say, that after 6 months in dry dock, I am really paranoid and nervous about her being back in a tank !!! I took a photo earlier, and was just wondering if you guys can have a look at it for me.... there seems to be some swelling behind her front legs, which I'm not sure if it's oedema or just getting fat from lack of exercise whilst in dry dock !!! She has been fed everyday in the time she was dry docked, as she had gotten really skinny from her infection. She was also on Fortum for about 4 months, which makes me worry as well !!!

Hopefully I am just being paranoid....
    Thank you
    Anna C

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1