1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Newbie (completely new to having pets!)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mai ngo, Feb 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Mai, it really is nothing to worry about. It hasn't even broken the skin so nothing can become infected. Some UVB and a little dry time will soon fix this.

2. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Mai, can I ask if you uploaded these photos as 1600 pixels wide or were the photos larger that you uploaded?

3. Mai ngo

Mai ngo Hatchling Turtle

Thanks Craig, I feel better now! I can sleep :laugh:

Um I took the photos on my camera and just clicked "upload file" immediately under the area I am posting. The resolution for my photos are 3264x1836
    So yes it looks like it has been resized by the website? Hope this helps :)

4. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Ah thank you Mai, you're a life-saver. I've been trying all afternoon to install a program to resize photos.
    Yes, rest easy. Your turtle just has a very slight graze on his/her head.

5. Mai ngo

Mai ngo Hatchling Turtle

Hi everyone! Thank you for all your help so far; I wanted to let you all know Skittles is eating some more food now.
    He nibbles on duckweed, because I didn't feed him for one day; he kept looking for food on the aquarium (substrate floor) and every time I walk past, he'd swim up to the top waiting for food :laugh:!
    I caught a house fly and also fed that to him and he gobbled it up! He also had half a pellet so that's something.
    Until I receive the scales and weigh him, I won't know if his growth is on track, I do hope so.

Rodney, you mentioned the shrimp my breeder provides (glass shrimp) will be OK with him. He's selling like 60 glass shrimp for $10. Would it be OK to put them ALL in the tank or should I only grab like 30 glass shrimp and put them in? I'll try and get all the small ones??

6. Rodney

Rodney Hatchling Turtle

Hi Mai

I would be inclined to only put a few in at a time. Just in case he dashes around and eats them all in a few days. This scarcity will also induce Skittles to be more active as he hunts them down. I store my shrimp in cheap plastic storage containers about $8-$12 and plastic sand pits about $14 from Bunnings. The shrimp are sensitive to introduced chemicals such as chlorine and fluoride in the water. I would let the water age a few days first.

I am not sure about the price as I have always caught my own. They are certainly lower priced than cherry shrimp. But as Kevin mentioned the red colour seems to enhance their appeal as food item.
    A good web site to look at, for shrimp is Petlink fish. Of note I believe cherry shrimp are tropical.

I catch my glass shrimp. I use a hand held dip net. Their are some for about $5 in Kmart but seem a bit flimsy. A better option would be from a fishing store. Aquarium nets hold/retain to much water and restrict the nets movement.

At a watercourse look for grass or reeds growing in the water. Around other water vegetation is my 2nd preference.You may also catch a few yabbies. On some of the inland lakes I caught several hundred in minutes. The more pristine the water the more prevalent they are. George's River should be OK. However they don't travel well and expect a high mortality rate on longer journeys.

They eat algae but are fine when fed with fish food.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Mai ngo

Mai ngo Hatchling Turtle

Thanks Rodney!! I have heaps of K-mart tubs, so I'll put them in there. I will try and catch my own, was thinking about back up plans hahah. Will visit Georges River this weekend! :D

8. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

9. Mai ngo

Mai ngo Hatchling Turtle

Okay, Thanks Kev!

Re the canister filter you're using, there are two versions: with and without UV. Is it necessary to get the UV version - is there much benefit? And will it kill my good bacteria...? Thanks.

10. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I use the UV version because it kills only the harmful free floating bacteria in the aquarium and also prevents free floating algae from forming which causes the notorious green water that's so common in aquariums.

It's totally up to you which one you decide to use. The UV Clarifier is in my opinion worth the extra few $$$.