1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Please help me identify my turtle bought on 24/6/2017 from a private seller

Discussion in 'Turtle Identification' started by Harry Desai, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Harry Desai

Harry Desai Hatchling Turtle

So what lights are on the digital 24/7 adjustable timer?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 15, 2017, Original Post Date: Jul 15, 2017 ---
    Also how did you prepare the lamp holder stand ? I saw the 24/7 digital timer and lap holder stand ( 2 foot distance from dock )?

2. Rodney

Rodney Juvenile Turtle

Hi Harry

Just a tiny thing. When I view your aquarium photos the magnetic algae cleaners always appear to be submerged. I had previously done the same but found they seem to last longer when stored above the water line or better still outside of the aquarium .

I haven't used them now for approximately 10 years as I found when the glass is cleaned vigorously and carelessly sand grains became embedded in the medium and resulted in scratched glass.

I now use long handled aquarium scrapers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm sorry but I really do not understand what you're talking about.
    My fluoro lighting is on from 7am - 5pm and controlled by a HPM slimline digital programmable timer.
    20140608_070424-1.jpg

20160216_180249.jpg
    My basking lamps are on from 12:30pm - 1:30pm and controlled by the HPM 24/7 manually adjustable timer.

I have multiple basking lamps, the one that's 2ft above the dock is a Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) and that's how high they're supposed to be.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 16, 2017 ---
    I cannot provide advice for products i don't recommend or use.
    Long srory short, you've created a space problem by using 2× single reflectors instead of 1× dual reflector.
    Your basking lamp setup isn't going to work like that. I recommend using the Exo-Terra porcelain clamp lamp stand and the Exo-Terra Swamp lamp like i do.
    20170108_113823.jpg

20170108_113843.jpg

20160420_163235.jpg
    The other lamp i use is the Exo-Terra Solar Glo MVB lamp.
    20150712_200638-1.jpg

P1000334-1.JPG

4. Harry Desai

So how did you make the stand for solar glo which is 2ft high ? (That was my question earlier ) and why do you use manual setting 24 hours 7 days timer and not just 24 hour timer from bunnings ? (Those round dial non digital timers)

The reason why I am asking is do you change times of your lights according to season ? Or should I buy just those round dial non digital timers ( sold 2 for $10 ) instead of manual digital timers which are $22 ?

5. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

I didn't make the stand, it's a Zoo-med lamp stand from Amazing Amazon.
    https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/zoo-med-reptile-lamp-stand.html

Because the 24/7 timers allow you to manually set multiple ON/OFF times throughout the day whereas the digital timers only allow a single ON/OFF time. During Spring and Summer I have my basking lights come on and go off twice in the daytime and that cannot be achieved with the digital timer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Harry Desai

So it seems I should only use 24/7 timers and return the digital hpm that I bought. Digital timers seems to be only necessary if I want lights to be turned on only on few random days of the week. E.g. - Mon, Wed, Fri etc . And it seems turtle lights must remain on every day 365 days .

7. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

No, the digital timers are good for the fluoro lighting. They have a backup battery supply and don't lose all your programs in the event of a power supply interruption. They're also more accurate than the manual timers.