1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Right tube combination?

Discussion in 'Heating, Lighting & UV' started by Murtle's Mum, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Murtle's Mum

Murtle's Mum Hatchling Turtle

Just a quick question about the tubes in the twin reflector. I've got this one in one side https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/exo-terra-reptiglo-10-0-48.html
    I took out the tropical tube that came with the reflector & replaced it with the Reptiglo one. In the other side is a Tropical Pink tube. When the reflector came one of the tubes was broken - I think it was the sunlight tube - just going by the description of tubes on the box & by the one that wasn't broken. It was replaced with another Tropical tube (no pink mentioned on the tube).
    So, is the combination of the Tropical Pink (for plants) & the Reptiglo one the right combination? & is the top of the reflector supposed to feel hot - I mean really hot???!!! I'm a bit reluctant to leave it on all day when I'm not home actually.
    (& I might add, it was a bigger, harder, longer job getting all the broken glass out of that reflector housing than it was to wash 20kg sand!!!! )
    Cheers,
    Mel.

2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Mel, the Aqua One Tropical Pink tube is the correct tube for plants.
    4435-1484428412-b919b4877fd5084b879dd3014e907cb7.jpg

4436-1484428417-33b8f9e35673b891e396d116ed1cc926.jpg

The Exo-Terra Reptiglo tube is also fine for UVB provided you got the 10.0 (10% UVB) tube.
    4438-1484428737-df10e23d4bc5c795048b18b7b12c0383.jpg

Grab a post-it-note and write down "replace tubes" and the date 6 months from now (18-08-17) and stick it to your reflector or tank somewhere.

As for emitting heat, the fluoros do get quite hot to touch, it's normal and not something to be concerned about. I have 6 fluoros above my turtle tank and 2 basking lamps. If there was something wrong with it, it would be buzzing/humming or flickering.

Does your house have a safety switch installed??

3. Murtle's Mum

Murtle's Mum Hatchling Turtle

Thanks Kev.
    I've just put the tube replacement date on the calendar so I'll remember. :)
    Thank you for the reassurance on the heat issue.
    Yes, I've got a safety switch plus I've got the whole tank system (plus just about everything else in the house) plugged into surge protector power boards so if anything goes amiss then everything will shut down.
    On another note, I was reading through some old posts on here last night (2014 I think, :laugh:) & have to thank the person (Deb or William?? - was late when I read it & I can't remember in the light of day) who gave the tip on how to keep the Val planted. The tip was to cut holes in a plastic lid, thread the Val (or other plants) through the holes so the roots stay in the substrate. I had to go buy more Val this morning (as Murtle has pulverised the last lot!!) & have anchored them to plastic lids then buried them in the substrate. Fingers crossed it stays put!!!
    Cheers,
    Mel.

4. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No worries. All sounds good. :)