1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Sick baby turtle

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Required' started by Atlantis, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Atlantis

Atlantis Hatchling Turtle

Hello everyone,

I had some eggs hatch a few weeks ago and I now have 7 baby ELN turtles (woohoo), but the problem is one of them just isn't really growing with the rest. He was also just smaller when he hatched too. He's not eating anymore either, I'm not sure for how long, maximum a week. I checked inside his mouth and he has a bit of a mouth infection and I think he may also have a respiratory infection. He's basking more than usual, he can't swim as strong as the others, and is shedding more.

They have been getting 90-100% water changes daily because at the moment the water level is small so they can all reach it without too much effort. They have two air stones, a UVB light, heat lamp above their basking dock, and a water heater set to 25 degrees C.
    There is also 5g/L of salt in the water and for the past week since I noticed this little one might be sick I have been putting the recommended dose of "turtlefix" into the water (which is just melafix to my knowledge ).
    There is calgrit in the water.
    They are getting fed once a day of either crickets, cockroaches, mosquito larvae, guppy fry, and chopped thawed and soaked marinara mix. And I try to feed them the turtle pudding every now and then but so far they won't eat it.
    I take them outside to get about 15 minutes of natural sunlight every 2-3 days.
    None of the other turtles appear to be sick.

Okay so I think that's all the history. So my question is, is there anything that can be done? If I took him to a vet, can they give him antibiotics even though he's only the size of a 20-50 cent coin?
    I have some medication for fish - tetracycline hydrochloride (aquaricycline) and tri-sulfa - can I use either of these two if I can't take him to a vet?

Thank you for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hi mate, you are much better off treating the little turtle yourself.

I've used Tri-sulfa tablets many times in the past with good results. You can also use a 2% Iodine bath if you wish. With Canker/mouth rot you are much better first swabbing inside the mouth with a cotton tip soaked with Hydrogen peroxide 2- 2 1/2 % solution. If you have difficulty opening the turtle's mouth use a guitar pick/plectrum. You will need to do this for a minimum of twice a day to 3 times a day maximum until you notice the canker has disappeared from inside the mouth.

I would also remove the smallest turtle (the sick one) from the tank the others are in and keep it separate. This will prevent the canker spreading to the others as well as reduce stress from being surrounded by larger and possibly more aggressive siblings.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Atlantis

Thank you so much Craig, I think I stared at the bottle of trisulfa and tetracycline for a good hour last night hoping I could use it, haha.
    I will do what you suggested and hope for the best.
    I did try swabbing the inside of the mouth a couple days ago but the cotton tip wouldn't fit, so I'll go out today and try to find a smaller one!

Thank you very much.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 22, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 22, 2017 ---
    Sorry one more thing. What is better for him, the iodine bath or the trisulfa? I thought the iodine baths weren't very good for their long term health?

5. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

You're welcome!
    I'd recommend the Tri-sulfa if you are going to give your turtle a lot of baths.

6. Atlantis

Okay, thank you again !