1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Sleeping on the dock

Discussion in 'Turtle Behaviour' started by ekw, May 13, 2013.

1. ekw

ekw Hatchling Turtle

Hi guys,

I have only just noticed that one of my Macleay River turtles is using the dock a lot, even sleeping on the dock. I have had them for just over 4 months now, and I am worried that it could be sick as it has never done this before. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Cheers

2. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hi ekw,

Can you please upload some in focus close-up (macro) photos of the underside and top of your turtle, as well as their setup? Can you check you water chemistry and let us know what your water temperature, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are?

Are you using salt? If so, can you get the salt levels checked and let us know what they are??

3. Craig

Another useless thread without a reply!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

Yeah, that's frustrating. Isn't this the same person who was asking today about their turtles being overweight? I don't know how you guys hold your patience sometimes, with people who don't read the care guide despite it being an incredible resource, and don't even bother answering reasonable, non-invasive questions that will help quickly diagnose the problem - and for free! I get frustrated just watching it!

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Craig

Yes it is and yes you do have to have a lot of patience, especially if you've been doing this for over 16 years on the forum like I have. It seems as though it's a waste of time but hopefully most people do use our information for the sake of their turtles.

Most people don't realise that we all volunteer our time to help and that it costs a lot of money to keep a website running like this one does.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Seems like you're not worried at all champ...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member

My suspicion is it was too late. Probably feeling guilty now, hence no reply. I hope I'm wrong.

8. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

No, You'll be right on mate. Macleays are the most common species that die in captivity due to inexperience and ignorance, hence why AFT does everything to steer newbies away from them as a preference.