1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Soft shell

Discussion in 'Common Health Problems, Injuries and Treatments' started by smoyle, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Simon,

Yes, removing some calgrit with sand and then just replacing the sand will help.

2. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member Silver Level Supporter

Thanks Kev. My problem is that I'm restricted to a 4x2x2 tank, and my wife is emphatically NOT a fan of ELNs (she thinks they look too much like a snake - and short necks freak her out enough as it is!). Macleays are pretty much the only option for this size tank from what I understand. I'd really like to have an interesting looking one like your purvisi, but can't do a 6 foot tank.

I'm also going away for 3 weeks in May, and while we'll have a house sitter I don't want to put the stress on them to look after a new turtle for that long. But by then basically all the hatchlings will be gone from the pet shops around Melbourne anyway. Except for my local petshop, where the 3 month old Macleay hatchlings are already between 5 and 8 cm SCL! By then they'll be even bigger. So the choice seems to be between an unheathily large one for its age, or waiting until the end of the year for a hatchling.

I'd certainly be happy to look at an adult or sub adult Macleay, but they don't seem to come up that often in Victoria. (I found one on gumtree in Melbourne the other day, but it was a year old and already 12 - yes, 12!! cm SCL!!!)

So if you have any suggestions given those parameters, I'm certainly happy to look at them. I really can't say enough how passionate I am about turtles - they bring me great joy, which is paradoxically why I'm so heartbroken at the moment.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 3, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 3, 2017 ---
    Ok, so I went and visited my local aquarium today, where I got my first turtle, and their Macleay hatchlings aren't that big, they're about right - 3 months old and quite tiny still (not sure why they told me they were 5-8cm over the phone, they're nowhere near it). Even the year old ones (which they still have) are only between 4 and 5 cm. So, that bodes well. I suspect it also bodes well (genetically) that they're all the gunmetal grey that my first turtle was, rather than the browner colour of the second two, but I could be wrong about that.

I'm thinking I'll wait until after May and get one of the year old ones, assuming they're still available.

3. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

That's a good idea Simon!