1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Thank You !!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Anna C, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Anna C

Anna C Hatchling Turtle
    Bronze Level Supporter

Hello everyone !

I have been lurking around this site for the last few weeks, and only joined last weekend.
    My turtle Donkey, a 20 year old Murray River turtle, has recently had a major health scare !! She is on antibiotics from the vet, for a tiny patch of shell rot and a major fungal infection, 6 months after I got her a canister filter but did not know how to use it properly at all !! One week into treatment, and the vet is amazed at how much progress she has made, and this I owe a lot to all of you and your brilliant care guides !!! I have changed her diet, taken care of her tank and slowly becoming a somewhat expert in testing water ! Donkey and I still have a long way to go, a few more improvements with her tank, and a lot of weight for her to gain but feel more confident she will make it.
    This I owe not only to her vet, but also to all of you and the great advice on here, so thank you all, from the bottom of Donkey's and my heart !!!
    Anna

2. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member Silver Level Supporter

Hi Anna, and welcome to AFT!

If you get a moment, we always love seeing pictures of turtles, and of people's setups (tank, filtration, etc) - helps us not only identify potential problems, but gives us ideas and inspiration for our own setups.

3. Anna C

Anna C Hatchling Turtle
    Bronze Level Supporter

Hello smoyle

Thank you for your warm welcome !!!

I will post pics tomorrow, as it's my bedtime now, since I work full time !
    This site is amazing, and only wish that I had found it years ago, and maybe have saved Donkey from having to go through all that she has. It is my fault for not doing enough research, and I know that, but just so grateful for finding all of you !!!

Will post photos tomorrow

Means a lot
    Anna C

4. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Welcome Anna C, glad you could join us here :aftwelcome:and have found the site helpful!

5. Anna C

Anna C Hatchling Turtle
    Bronze Level Supporter

Thank you Craig !!
    I will post my photos tonight and follow the forum guide for all of Donkey's information.
    This site has been a God send for me !!
    Very very grateful !!
    Anna C

6. Anna C

Anna C Hatchling Turtle
    Bronze Level Supporter

Hi everyone !!
    As promised, here is some photos and details of my set up...

Species : Murray River turtle
    Length : 25 cm
    Sex : female ( after 18 years of being called little man )
    Name : Donkey
    Medical history : Small edge of shell bite from another short neck when housed together, the second turtle given to a good home

Set up
    Tank : 6ft x 1.6 ft x 1.5 ft ( know now that we will have to remove the lid )
    Filter : Aquamanta 1200 ( the defining change resulting in illness, as I was rinsing the whole filter out with tap water once a month, starting new cycling all the time).
    Light : Repto Glo 10 UVB in open casing across 3/4 of the tank, only two small sections of glass between.
    An infrared heat lamp, which is currently over dry docking tank, and I will be purchasing a floating dock for the tank before she goes back in.
    Daily time outside in natural sunlight (when available) for around 20 minutes or until he tears.
    Substrate : large round river rocks ( bought after advice from a different forum as small gravel previously, know now will need to be switched for river sand and calgrit, once finances recover from vets bills).

Diet : duckweed, purple waffle, feeder fish, worms, cichlid pellets and an occasional cricket. Feeding every day at this stage to maintain weight while recovering.

Water : tested last night
    pH : 7.2
    high pH : 7.4
    Ammonia : 0
    Nitrite : 0
    Nitrate : 10

Donkey is currently in dry dock, 23 hours and having a swim for 1 hour a day, to rehydrate and eat everything she can get her mouth too ! She is also every 3 days having a shot of ceftazidime antibiotics, clumsily administered by me, which after I hastily throw up from the stress of not knowing if I got it right !!! I have another 6 to go Then flamazine cream applied over her shell. She has a bandage on a small part of back shell, which the vet was worried she might lose, and also a little one on her right back leg, for a sore that developed after dry docking her. We has her 1 week check last night, and the vet was amazed by her progress in just a week, and happy that she had maintained her weight.

I know I have done many things wrong, and I am devastated that I have caused this for my girl, but I am trying to make them right. With all of your advice and care facts, feel like I am on the right track for Donkey to fully recover and flourish !!!
    So again thank you !!!
    Anna C

IMG_4506.JPG IMG_4506.JPG IMG_4509.JPG IMG_4510.JPG

#6 Anna C, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2017
  7. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Anna, glad that you're on the right track now and have worked out for yourself how to make some positive changes, well done! :crossfingers:
    Just one thing, for some ridiculous reason South Australia and Victoria call a 'Murray River turtle' a short neck Murray. It's kind of ridiculous as there are no long-neck Murrays. It's like calling a dove a two-winged bird or a dog a tailed canine. It's just stating the obvious. They might as well call it a one shell Murray.

8. Anna C

Anna C Hatchling Turtle
    Bronze Level Supporter

Thank you Craig,
    I have a one shell Murray
    I just don't know where Donkey and I would be without you all !!! I only want the best for my girl, and after following your care guides, I feel more confident of giving that to her, but any suggestions would be greatfully accepted !!
    I forgot to mention a new heater that I bought for her tank, as the old one was completely inadequate, which is an Aquamantra TH500. It has a titanium casing, so it's has no risk of breaking or burning her, so the aquarium shop said ?? Has anyone had any experience with these heaters ? Would love to know your opinions.
    Many thanks
    Anna C

9. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member Silver Level Supporter

Hey Anna, sounds like things are definitely improving out of sight - great job!

Something to keep in mind - rinsing/washing out your filter with tap water may not have been the only water quality issue. 1200 litres an hour (max) is probably not enough for a 6ft tank, especially with an adult Murray. AFT recommends filtration which turns over the entire volume of water at least 7 times per hour. For example, my 4ft tank has around 360 litres, which means my filter has to turn over at least 2520 litres per hour (I have two filters with a combined turnover of around 3600lph). Might be worth looking into a filter with bigger capacity when you get the chance.

Good on you for everything you're doing for Donkey (great name! - is there a story behind it?) - your dedication will pay off with a happy, healthy turtle!

10. Anna C

Anna C Hatchling Turtle
    Bronze Level Supporter

Hi smoyle,
    Thank you for your support and advice, and must admit I am rather exhausted after 3 weeks of 5am mornings, to make sure that Donkey has everything she needs, and set up for every day !!
    I am so disappointed with the shop, which I had been going to for over 10 years and knew my pets and set up, have given me such bad advice and help !! I will look into a stronger filter capable of handling my tank size, but at the moment it isn't too bad as she is going into treated fresh water everyday not her tank, until she is healthy and strong enough.
    The name comes from my love of the character Donkey on Shrek, and the fact she has always had a determined and stubborn streak about her, which I love and has probably been her save in grace just recently....!!!
    I am so glad I have found you guys, and after seeing first hand the improvement with my girl, am ready, willing and able to follow any advice I am lucky enough to receive !
    Very grateful

Anna C.

#10 Anna C, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2017
  11. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Anna, when heating, even a water heater with a Titanium casing will burn your turtle if she is touching or resting on it. That's why we always recommend a heater guard. There is also the possibility that she will dislodge the heater and smash it against the glass as has happened to many other turtle keepers. If it hits the glass hard enough it could cause the glass to crack and flood the room the tank is in.

12. Anna C

Anna C Hatchling Turtle
    Bronze Level Supporter

Hi Craig, I apologise for my late reply, but as Donkey is only going in the water for 1 hour in the morning, she has to poop in her dry tank which is causing a shortage of towels and a lot of washing !! She did it 3 times in a row tonight, each one on a new towel, so have been busy cleaning, just lucky I love her so much !! As for the heater, I did not put it in the tank until I got your advice, so it is still in the box. I will take back and see if I can get a guard for it, or will return it for a different type. After all they gave me the wrong advice, by telling me it didn't need a guard, and this shop takes in rescues and unwanted turtles !
    Thank you again for helping.
    Anna C
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 17, 2017, Original Post Date: Feb 15, 2017 ---
    Hi everyone,

Just thought I would let you know. that Dr Anne Fowler is Donkey's vet, and she now has her own practice Adelaide Bird and Exotics Pets. It is located at, 129 Richmond Road, Richmond SA 5033, and the contact number is 8443 4838.

Anna C
    --- Double Post Merged, May 8, 2017 ---
    Hi everyone,
    So after 3 long months, of antibiotics and big leaps forward, tonight at the vets we had a step back.... Donkey has lost part of her back shell, it was at risk all the way through, but when it came away tonight, I cried and haven't stopped since! Her vet reassured me that, she is recovering at a mammal rate not reptile speed, which I owe to all of you and that this was always going to happen, but I hate that my ignorance has done this !!! Her vet also said that she would still thrive, despite this loss, but with another month of antibiotics, I wish I had found you guys so much sooner than I did.... although she won't be winning any beauty contests anytime soon, my love for her is more than words can say!! She is resilient, strong and stubborn which has been her save in grace....❤️

13. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Anna, I wish Donkey and you all the best and hopefully a full recovery for Donkey!

A battle wound won't change how much she is loved and can be a reminder of her will to fight. Every scar is what makes her unique and special in her own way.
    Luckily all freshwater turtles are stubborn/very strong willed, that's just their nature.

Shogun make a deluxe water heater with heater guard and digital readout. They are pretty much the 'bees knees' of water heaters. I have used them since they came out and Kev (@Aussiepride83)
    swears by them too.

Shogun1.jpg Shogun2.jpg

14. ksheep

ksheep Hatchling Turtle
    Gold Level Supporter

She's beautiful, with or without a whole shell! Keep up the great work Anna - I admire your dedication! Donkey is a lucky girl.

#14 ksheep, May 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2017
  15. Anna C

Anna C Hatchling Turtle
    Bronze Level Supporter

Hi Craig,
    Thank you so much for your kind words, they are most appreciated, and come at the right moment !!! I was so excited, that we had finished her last antibiotics, and that she was healed. But the vet said, if that edge of her shell was dead, it has to drop off or eitherwise it becomes a trap for bacteria to breed and make her ill again !
    I am so glad you stated about the heater, as that is the one that I purchased, and it does a great job !!! I have got the sand and calgrit in her tank, and I am ordering the aquaone nautilus 2700 UVC tonight, from Amazing Amazon. Believe it or not, it is $50.00 cheaper for me to purchase from them and pay for shipping, rather than buying here in Adelaide !
    So again thank you Craig and everyone on here, really don't know what we would do without you !!!
    Anna C
    --- Double Post Merged, May 9, 2017, Original Post Date: May 9, 2017 ---
    Thank you so much Ksheep for your kind words !!! I love her so much and would do anything for her ❤️

16. Anna C

Anna C Hatchling Turtle
    Bronze Level Supporter

Thank you so much and I have no intention of going anywhere !! Despite everything she has been through, with all of your help she is getting stronger everyday !!!
    Will always grateful to you all !!
    Anna C