1. AFT is Celebrating its 16th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 22nd Year providing the AFT Care Guide. AFT is a not-for-profit charity administered 100% by voluntary staff only.

Too much duckweed?

Discussion in 'Diet and Feeding' started by Mai ngo, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes keep the shrimp in the tank that's fine. The Red Cherry Shrimp will breed freely. I have hundreds of them in a basic 18 inch, 10 gallon setup.
    20170212_070349.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Craig

Craig Owner/Administrator/Public Officer
    Staff Member

Only if he realises that they're not friends! :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mai ngo

Mai ngo Juvenile Turtle

Haha, thanks guys!

So I popped in the Swordtails and platy as well as some red cherry shrimp and skittles started chasing them immediately; I think he was able to catch some very small fry!

I love the red cherry shrimp and will definitely look into breeding them now! What's the minimum tank size I can get away with for breeding the shrimp? Also, if I wanted to breed Swordtails and platy - is this possible (and possible in the same tank as the shrimp with maybe duckweed too?!) I'm having a look in Gumtree to see what kind of tank I can find on the cheap. :)

4. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

A ten gallon tank for the shrimp and a separate 20 gallon for the platy. Red cherry shrimp must be kept separate otherwise they'd all get eaten, also because the Cherry shrimp are temperate and prefer a temperature of 22°C whereas your live-bearers will need to be up around 26°C. Make sure you have plenty of Java moss.
    20161209_193321.jpg

I breed guppies and yabbies in a separate 2ft tank which I also grow duckweed in.
    20170507_175710.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    #24 Aussiepride83, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  5. Mai ngo

Mai ngo Juvenile Turtle

Thanks Kev! I will start with the shrimp and see how I go. Don't want to get too excited and do too much at once. Is it OK to grow the duckweed in the tank as well? If not all good - will just leave the duckweed in my birdbath outside. :)

6. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

It's OK inside if you have the proper lighting for it... If you don't it'll just die and pollute your tank. I just use a cheap 2ft 6500K full spectrum fluoro light tube from Bunnings Warehouse. A twin pack costs $6 and they last for 6 months before needing replacing.
    20160320_075010.jpg

A word of advice with the Cherry Shrimp, start out with at least a dozen and make sure the aquarium they're going into is properly cycled first. Cherry shrimp are hardy in the way that they can tolerate a wide variety of conditions however they have ZERO TOLERANCE for ammonia and nitrite and a very low tolerance for nitrates. Ammonia and nitrite must always be 0ppm, nitrates should be kept under 20ppm at all times otherwise they become infertile and can't breed. I was doing a 30% water change on my shrimp tank once/week when I first started out but there's several hundred in the tank now so I do a 30% water change every second day now just to keep them happy and for my own peace of mind.

7. Mai ngo

Mai ngo Juvenile Turtle

I just picked up these lights at Bunnings yesterday for my spare 3ft light and I'm using it on my 4ft tank at the moment for the duckweed in there (well the duckweed Skittles hasn't eaten yet!)
    Fantastic, Thank you Kevin!

#27 Mai ngo, May 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

You're most welcome. Give the duckweed at least 8-10 hours of light a day if kept inside. Some gentle water movement from an air driven sponge filter will have it growing quicker than if it was just on still, flat water. This is because it grows by dividing. The gentle surface agitation from air bubbles helps this process.

9. Mai ngo

Mai ngo Juvenile Turtle

Awesome. I just picked up 2 fish tanks off gumtree for $80! So I can breed fish and shrimp! :) It's very exciting being able to provide them live food!

A question; since I've added the new feeder fish and cherry shrimps, Skittles spends his time close to the tank floor. Skittles used to swim around more and approach me when I walked up close, but now he seems preoccupied looking for stuff - i can only guess for food. The water parameters are still good, and water temp is 23 degrees. Is this normal behaviour?

10. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

That's normal natural behaviour and what you want. It means he's being stimulated and acting like a wild turtle would. This is good, less chance of him suffering boredom and displacement issues which can result in destructive behaviour like destroying aquarium decor etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Mai ngo

Mai ngo Juvenile Turtle

Phew! Thanks so much. Looks like I'm on the right track for a newbie.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Being here at AFT is "on the right track" period. (:turtlesign) :loveturtles:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mai ngo

Mai ngo Juvenile Turtle

hey @Aussiepride83 . May I ask what kind of gravel that is in your RCS tank? And are RCS still part of a healthy for turtles to eat even when they grow up? (Just curious). Thanks

14. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

It's just a $3 bag of black gravel from the pet section at Big W. Cherry shrimp are suitable for baby and juvenile turtles. They're too small for subadult and adult turtles.

• Like Like x 1