1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Turtle salt/grit in Brisbane?

Discussion in 'Turtle Supplies & Equipment' started by cediealpha, Oct 19, 2015.

1. cediealpha

cediealpha Hatchling Turtle

Hi.

Does anyone know of anywhere that sells Turtle Grit and Turtle Salt around Brisbane? Normally I wouldn't mind buying things online but I've been caught a little short on Turtle Salt owing to unexpected water changes and would like to get my hands on some sooner rather than later.

Cheers.

2. cediealpha

Yes, I do. I've used this salt with fish before, thanks Kev. I am a little less enthusiastic on using it with a turtle however. I doubt it'd be detrimental, but I'm less sure it'd provide the trace elements etc that apparently makes Turtle Salt particularly suited to turtles. I've seen some discussion around Turtle Salt alternatives which seem to centre around using quality marine aquarium salts like Red Sea salts. But without understanding more about the secret sauce that is Turtle Salt, I'm still unsure as to their similarity and suitability. It's still a good, useful suggestion though so thanks! :D

3. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Administrator
    Staff Member

Mate, this is pure evaporated sea salt, it doesn't get any better than that. I've been using this since AFT stopped producing "Turtle salts." Your turtle will not be missing out on anything I promise you. Need any more convincing, browse my gallery and tell me if you find any sickly looking turtles. ;) You could continue to use this salt indefinitely and save yourself some serious money.

If you want to add some extra goodies to it, mix in some Himalayan Pink Rock salt. The chemical composition of Himalayan Pink rock salt includes 95–96% sodium chloride, contaminated with 2–3% polyhalite and small amounts of ten other minerals. The pink colour is due to iron oxide.

[​IMG]

4. cediealpha

Haha yeah, I take your points about that sea salt. I do like the idea of adding some body too it though so I'll definitely look into the pink bits, thanks. I hadn't realised AFT didn't do salts etc any more as the label on the stuff I had suggested some connection. *shrugs* Old label I guess! Thanks for your help in finding alternatives! :D

5. Andrewasw

Andrewasw Juvenile Turtle
    Silver Level Supporter

Got myself a bag of this on the weekend. Will last me a while even with multiple fish tanks and the turtle tank.

6. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

7. cediealpha

I had a quick look and I actually still have some of this kicking around I'd bought ages ago. It was originally suggested to me by a LFS for fish fungus. They did make the comment at the time that it didn't contain magnesium, but I got the sense that that was more an issue when used with marine fish rather than fresh water fish. The things you (sorta) learn without trying, eh? Who would've thought it?! :D

8. cediealpha

Kev, I've just picked up some of the Himalayan pink rock salt to go with the sea salt. Do you use it at a specific amount or ratio? I am currently salting at 4g per litre. My little guy has some ongoing health issues (and yes, he is under the care of a reptile vet) so I want to be double, triple sure that he isn't missing out on anything he should be getting.

Cheers.

9. Aussiepride83

Staff Member

Hey mate, say for example you just did a 50 litre water change and needed to add 200g of salt back to the tank, you could just go with 150g of sea salt and 50g of Pink Rock salt - (3 parts to 1.) That'd be fine. The salt is basically to stop your turtle getting any infections and to regulate osmosis. The main way to ensure he's getting EVERYTHING he needs is by feeding a natural and VARIED diet. ;) Don't place too much emphasis on the salt - just make sure you're using it at the recommended dosage. Diet, sufficient UVB exposure and water quality are paramount.

10. cediealpha

Thanks for the salt info! I was reading up on it earlier. The minerals and trace elements in it is truly amazing! I realise salt is primarily for those areas, I just don't want to chance anything down to luck at the moment as my guy seems to have less than none. In spite of my best attempts with continual research and reading, there have been some missteps, though they generally involved more obscure aspects of aquarium water chemistry. He has the bulbs, docks, outdoor play area, the works. But he also has trouble with taking food with the associated consequences. It's an ongoing work in progress, including with Vitamin A suppliments. It's an ongoing challenge... *long sigh*

Thanks again for all the information in relation to salt, it's been most helpful! :D

11. crazy horse

Hi I am setting up my first turtle tank and looking into salt. The pool salt is handy because I have a pool. Never having seen the turtle salt to compare with the pool salt is quite large granules. Is it OK to add straight into the tank, or should I dissolve it first. Probably not important now as there is nothing in the tank but once there are turtles in the tank is it ok?

12. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member Silver Level Supporter

Hi Crazy Horse, you can just add it straight into the tank, with adequate filtration/water flow it will dissolve fairly quickly.

13. crazy horse

Thanks, guess I am use to the pool stuff and if it ends up in a pile it takes up to a day to dissolve.

I have the Reptile One Eco 120 tank which has the built in compartments in the back for filtration. I might just add it to the last compartment which is the outlet and has no media in it, just the heater.

14. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member Silver Level Supporter

Hi Crazy Horse - sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but when I started I got the Eco 120 like you and found it had a few problems for setting it up the way AFT recommends. I opted to replace it with a standard 4ft tank because those problems couldn't be overcome.

With T8 fluoro lighting you'll need it to be at most 15cm from the surface of the water, which is impossible with the eco 120 (unless you mount it inside the tank) given the maximum water level. You could go for T5 lighting though, which would solve that problem, you'd just need to make sure it's at least 30 cm from the surface of the water.

The dock was also too steep, which my turtle didn't like much (yours may be different), and being in the middle of the tank rather than a back corner meant it didn't like basking there.

But the biggest problem was the river sand - because AFT recommends a river sand/calgrit substrate, and the filter intake section has such large holes which sit at the bottom of the tank, the sand ended up being constantly sucked into the impeller compartment, and ultimately the impeller itself. (I also found the feeder fish kept ending up in the impeller compartment.)

I know it's a pain, particularly given it's marketed and sold as a turtle tank, but personally I'd recommend swapping it over if you can for a standard 4ft. I actually ended up coming out ahead on price too by swapping it over for a standard tank and an Aqua One Nautilus 2700 canister filter.

You might find ways to over come these issues, and I hope you do! But thought it was worth sharing my experience, as it may help prevent issues for you, even if it's initially a major inconvenience.