1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

UV lighting Zoo Med Reptisun T5 HO vs Reptile One UVB 10 T8

Discussion in 'Heating, Lighting & UV' started by rayozzy, Nov 8, 2013.

1. rayozzy

rayozzy Juvenile Turtle

Hi
    I will be upgrading my lighting once I get a new aquarium so I would like some advice on the lighting. I Understand that the Zoo Med Reptisun T5 HO only needs to be replaced every 12 months. The Reptile One T8 needs to be replaced every 6 months.

Is the only advantage of using the Zoo Med that it last longer?

I have not found any Zoomed tubes here in Perth how high should it be above the basking area / water? From what I have read on the Reptile one packaging they should be 30cm above the basking area / water.
    Is there any advantage to using a double tube fitting?

Thank you for your advice,
    Ray

#1 rayozzy, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  2. Steve Applin

Steve Applin Adult Turtle

I'm running the Zoo Med tubes and the consensus on here is that the need to be 30 cms above your reptile, though the packaging says 15 cms.

The Reptisun globes work out cheaper because they last 12 months not six, but they are more expensive upfront.

3. rayozzy

rayozzy Juvenile Turtle

Thank you Steve.

4. TheyAreDudes.

TheyAreDudes. Senior Turtle

Craig has said that with the Zoo Med ones, he had turtles basking that had never basked before, and the turtles seemed to like them.

Keep in mind that if updating from T8 tubes, you'll need to update your fittings (lighting hood) as well, as the T5's don't fit T8 fittings.

5. Sashaaaaaa

Sashaaaaaa Sub-Adult Turtle

I have a double tube fitting, and I have a tropical pink globe in the other slot for my plants.

6. Skinnyman

Skinnyman Hatchling Turtle

Anyone got a link for the Zoo Med? Sounds like a goer.

7. Cozza

Cozza Sub-Adult Turtle

8. Skinnyman

Skinnyman Hatchling Turtle

9. tredog

tredog Sub-Adult Turtle

+ 1 to Amazing Amazon's packing of their T5 globes! Was very happy with price, shipping etc.

One other aspect of T5 tubes that are overlooked is the fact that the UVB tube is the High Output version. The big thing with high output T5's is that they output more watts for the same length of tube:

T8 Standard Output 3ft tube 30w
    T5 Standard Output 3ft tube 21w
    T5 High Output 3ft tube 39w

So you get the following benefits with the HOT5 over the equivalent T8 tube:

More visible light
    More UVB (not in relation to 2.0, 5.0 or 10.0... e.g. 30 watts of uvb10 vs 39 watts of uvb10)
    Smaller profile so more tubes for the same space
    More efficient (longer Lasting)
    All T5HO are electronic ballast so instant on no flicker (aids in lamp efficiency)
    General rule of thumb is that T5 units are cheaper than T8 units.

Also, if your existing T8 units use stand click insert tombstone's you can replace them with the T5 tombstone equivalent and then wire in the T5 Ballast (costs around $18 per tube retrofitted). WIRING SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN

#9 tredog, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  10. damianpl

damianpl Hatchling Turtle
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone have a view on claims that T5 tubes only need to be replaced every 12 months, rather than 6 months with T8s? Have read it a number of places, here is one: http://www.petmountain.com/product/...eptisun-t5-ho-10-0-uvb-high-output-bulbs.html

"When To Replace Your Lamp: This lamp will provide your animals with beneficial UVB for a period of 12 months when used 10 to 12 hours per day. Record date of first use of lamp and replace after 12 months."

Also whether or not they need to be twice the distance from your turtle(s) as the T8s.

#10 damianpl, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017