1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

What can we put in a new Dam

Discussion in 'Keeping Turtles Outdoors (Ponds & Dams)' started by Peter Jackson, May 31, 2017.

1. Peter Jackson

Hi All,
    I'm are about to build a large ornamental dam and I would like to know if I can put Manning River Turtles in it. I know that they are endangered and would love to help by breeding them and subsequently releasing them back into the Manning River.
    I live at Telegraph Point which is about an hour North of the Manning River.
    If this is possible what permit will I need and how would I obtain mature breeding turtles?
    If not, then what species of Turtle would be best that could survive with Silver Perch, as we will also stock the dam with these.
    The dam will be 20m x 40m x 2m deep, it will be over 300m from any residence.
    Regards, Peter

#1 Peter Jackson, May 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2017
  2. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Staff Member Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Peter and Welcome to AFT!

It is actually illegal to breed Australian freshwater turtles and release them or any captive turtle into the wild. You would need special permission from the NSW State Government do something like this. I wouldn't like your chances getting permission considering you don't have any experience already breeding turtles, not to mention that they are very strict when it comes to the possibility of a captive turtle introducing a disease into wild populations. This could decimate the entire population of the species!
    Apart from that, all species of perch are not recommended to be kept with them as they are very aggressive towards freshwater turtles and they would also eat baby turtles.
    I actually was the first and only person to get permission from a State Government to release captive bred endangered Mary River turtles into the wild, so I have first hand knowledge of the regulations, requirements and conditions to be involved in such a project.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Peter Jackson

Hi Craig,
    Thank you for your reply.
    Regards, Peter

• Like Like x 1