1. AFT is Celebrating its 15th Consecutive Year of Helping Freshwater Turtles & Turtle Keepers Online and 21st Year with the AFT Care Guide. Thank you for being a part of AFT!

Worms

Discussion in 'Diet and Feeding' started by Daniel Parry, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Daniel Parry

Daniel Parry Juvenile Turtle

I’m looking at feeding my ELN some more fresh food just wanted to know if the worms you can buy at Bunnings are OK for turtles or would they possibly contain pesticides etc.? At the moment I'm feeding him prawns, feeder fish, house flies and the occasional worm from the garden but I haven’t found many out in the garden. I will buy some crickets from the pet shop tomorrow also.

2. smoyle

smoyle Sub-Adult Turtle
    Staff Member Silver Level Supporter

Hi Daniel - they're fine, I originally got mine for my worm farm at Bunnings (about 12 years ago now). That said, if you mulch a section of your garden bed and keep it moist, you'll find lots of worms there in a week or two - they need organic matter for food, but nothing much else really.

3. Craig

Craig Administrator
    Platinum Level Supporter

Hi Daniel, yes as Simon mentioned the Bunnings ones are fine.

One other thing, crickets are not very nutritious for turtles due to their poor calcium to phosphorous ratio and can cause bloating, leading to upset tummies and problems with submerging and lots of turtle farting. Your turtle is much better off if you feed it woodies (Speckled feeder roaches) instead.